Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 5, Cusco






We woke up to a sunny day with nothing to do other than wander the streets of Cusco to our hearts' content! Such luxury! We passed this woman weaving in the hotel courtyard, fully intending to make some purchases from her very fine weavings on the way back to our room. But, she was long gone when we returned after a glorious day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpJkDZ9g9z4&feature=related


The name of this store is "Maqui Arte". I know that because it's on several receipts I brought home! We were there FIVE times, each time buying something. Doreen shops quickly, but I have to ponder over my purchases, so I was glad that she found someone to play with. :-)
This store is fabulous!!! Gorgeous alpaca items, but mostly beautiful artist made jewelry. By the third time in the store, everyone was hugging us like long-lost friends. I can't think of ever before having been in a store where I could point blindfolded and been ecstatic with what I selected. Come to think of it, that would have been a whole lot easier than choosing between gorgeous and gorgeous. Gracias por me compra.
Oh, it's a good thing they don't have a website! I don't shop much any more, but this store really made me crazy with desire to buy, buy, buy.


This is one of my favorite photos. It's definitely one I will print and frame.







So festive. So over the top!
Given different circumstances, I could have been a good Catholic. I appreciate the drama and the staging!
























This work is by Juana Mendivil Due'nas de Olarte. She carries on her father's work, whose figures all had extremely long necks. The museum is on the Plaza San Blas.













We ended the day by having dinner on the porch of this restaurant. Doreen bought this man's CD. I should have, but felt I had already spent too much on this day.

No comments: